Tuesday, December 13, 2016

IT'S ALL HAPPENING...


RED DUST DREAMS - 

THE BOOK




Five years 'down the track' - the book has finally gone to publication and I am looking at trying to organise a major launch for it, while also 'working' on the documentary of the same name.

Have to say that I feel - 'odd'. Sort of surreal if you like. I have loved doing the research - such an amazing way to travel the nation and see the outback - and I have seen a lot of that huge expanse out there but there is always more to see. Always.

It has been the most wonderful learning curve too. Every day I learned something new - some good, some not so good. I also met some fantastic people, both those on the stations as well as those who are participating but live in the cities or other nations. Have had some incredible experiences - again, some good, some I would prefer to forget. Have also ticked some items off my 'bucket list' - including seeing crocodiles (both freshies and salt water - the above is the latter) in real life. I finally flew in a small plane (still a commercial flight but the smallest one I have ever been in) and a helicopter - LOVE the latter.


Conducting the research for the book has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. One aspect that I have tried to help capture both through the book as well as in the forthcoming documentary - is some of our outback history, which is currently in very real danger of being completely lost. Everywhere I travelled I saw old chimney stacks, the only reminders of homes from days gone by. There were also some ruins in different areas but, in so many cases, the chimney stacks have been the only part of the buildings remaining intact to this day. What stories they could tell!

Something really good which seems to have been triggered through doing this is that it has inspired some of the stations people as well as a few of the retired pastoralists, to write out their own auto-biographies and histories, both of their own lives as well as that of their stations. All recording some of our history, which, as I say, was in danger of being lost and gone forever.

There are many aspects which have surprised me as I have travelled around. One of these being how different our 'language' is between states, in some cases. Or maybe it is pure ignorance on my part. But what I have grown up knowing as a 'dam' (water being stored in a large hole which has been dug in the ground by a grader and is surrounded with high dirt banks) seems to be called a 'turkey's nest' in some other states. And education, although this one is probably 'old' knowledge to those who are either learning or teaching through it - what I have always known to be the School of the Air is known as 'Distance Education' in some other states. Although this could be far more widespread and common than I am giving credit for. I have always known about Distance Education, but more in respect of further education - that adults and older students do once their school lives are over but if they want to continued learing, as in University and TAFE - and don't want to leave home. I am sure this still applies widely but hearing School of the Air being termed Distance Education was a new one for me. Again, probably showing my ignorance.


Ramp is another one, being known as 'grids' in many places but I think that is quite a common one and is nationwide. It is just that I have grown up knowing them as ramps.

And 'drop and drags'- which are wire gates and this term seems to be used in some other states. We have these on Pitcairn too - and I guess we do have a name for them which could be 'drop and drag' but I had never heard this term before. They are more difficult to open and close than 'normal' gates - those made of wire (on rural properties) but are enclosed in metal to keep them straight and easy to use. 'Drop and drag' gates are made of wire and droppers. And can take some effort to close them again, once they've been opened. 

I am sure there are more names but the above come readily to mind at the moment.

But now the end is in sight, for the book anyway. As I do prepare to return to the workforce on a part time basis next year (and hopefully, with a job involving lots'n'lots of writing) I am also trying to organise a great big launch along with starting the initial plans for the documentary, about which I will talk a lot more of in my next post. I am also involved in quite a few other things as well as plan to do even more next year. Lots of wonderful family commitments too.



LINKS:     
     Website                                                     LinkedIn
      FaceBook                                                 YouTube
      Twitter                                                             And one funny one



No comments:

Post a Comment